Thursday, September 2, 2010

Confessions of a Carb-a-holic

Urgh! This is a HUGE problem for me! Since I have been back in the swing of monitoring and logged everything I eat I have noticed I get most of my calories from carbs and I am lacking big time in the protein department.

Let’s look at carbs first. Here are my pie (hmmm pie) charts for the last two days.

Tuesday

Wednesday

See all those carbs? It’s crazy…last night (or almost every night) I craved bread. I allowed myself one slice of whole-wheat bread, but I could have eaten an entire cake (more about that tomorrow).

Sparkpeople recommends that I have between 60 to 136 grams of protein a day. Tuesday I hit 41 grams and yesterday I only got up to 31 grams. It’s not that I don’t know how to fix this; it’s that I really really really love carbs. I love carbs almost as much as I love sleep-ask JAG…he will tell you how many time I say “I love sleep.”

I guess this is my way of saying I am aware of it and I need to work on it and by tell you it means I have to come back later and tell you that my carbs and proteins are all in line.

As I was typing this post I got an email from sparkpeople entitled The Truth about Carbohydrates – I know it’s like they were reading my mind. Here is there simple advice.

How do you include carbohydrates in you diet in a safe, effective, and controlled way? The “Please KISS Me” (Please Keep It So Simple for Me) plan for carbohydrate control is a wonderful tool that only contains 3 simple rules:

RULE 1: Include the following in your diet:
  • Fruits: 2-4 servings daily
  • Vegetables: 3-5 servings daily
  • Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, rolls, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal, and brown rice: 6-11 servings daily
  • Legumes, beans and peas: 1-2 servings daily
  • Low-fat and non-fat dairy products: 3 servings daily
RULE 2: Limit the following to less than 2 servings daily:
  • Fruit Juice
  • Refined and processed white flour products (bread, muffins, bagels, rolls, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal)
  • White rice
  • French fries
  • Fried vegetables
RULE 3: Eliminate the following from your diet or eat only on occasion:
  • Sugary desserts, cookies, cakes, pies, candies
  • Doughnuts and pastries
  • Chips, cola and carbonated beverages
  • Sugar, honey, syrup, jam, jelly, molasses

Here is a cute cartoon I found while searching for carb pics.
After post edit or thought: I really need to watch that fat too. I am in range, but dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read me you know Awesome is my word and I think you are so Awesome for reading me. I think it is even more Awesome to get comments! Thank you for reading - I look forward to hearing what you have to say!