Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Running…could I? Do you think I can do it?

One of my oldest and dearest friends, Kim, had a beautiful baby girl this morning. This is Kim, Jessie and I at Kim’s shower.

Yeap…that is the same Kim that about smacked with my flabby arms. I have been friends with them for 10 years.

What does Kim have to do with running?

Well you see Kim runs…A LOT. Hell she ran through her pregnancy…I give her big kudos for that. I remember last year asking her in my stupid way of asking dorky questions, “Kim can you teach me to run?”

Kim is so sweet; she would never tell me I am a dork. She said, “Yeah sure! You can do it.” Then I think proceeded to give me advice like buy good shoes and a good sports bra. Fact is I never asked her about it again because I was scared.

I am seriously scared to death of running…doesn’t that seem crazy?

Let me take you back to 1988. I was in the 5th grade (I believe) and for a physical fitness test in elementary school we had to run for an allotted amount of time. So there is the entire 5th grade class running in the field outside of the school. Where is Dana? I am standing next to the PE teacher holding my trusty get me out of all physical activity inhaler. I never had to do it…run that is.

Through the years I have grown out, somewhat, of physical activity induced asthma. I still carry an inhaler just in case I need it. Unfortunately, though, I have never learned to run. I mean…how to run and regulate my breathing at the same time.

It’s now 2010 and it’s time for me to face my fear. Therefore…TONIGHT I will start the couch to 5k program. Now I don’t have good shoes or a good bra, but I can at least start. Scared to death, but I have my inhaler and will have JAG there with me incase I pass completely out (overdramatic much?).

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Hopefully someday I will run marathons with Kim!
Kim in 2008 running the White Rock Lake Marathon
Before I forget…Tuesday are my weigh days…down 3 pounds this week…that is a total of 10 pounds so far! Woo!Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you read me you know Awesome is my word and I think you are so Awesome for reading me. I think it is even more Awesome to get comments! Thank you for reading - I look forward to hearing what you have to say!